Monday, April 14, 2014

Finding Joy in Siracusa

So I feel like I don't have much to say this week because ALL we did was finding. Hours upon hours of finding.

No one to talk to


We had 2 investigators when I got here and now we don't have any because I made us pass one of them to the elders because he is a single male.  I feel the elders here could take care of him better than we could.  The other is a little on the crazy side. 

Come to Life
Siracusa is absolutely beautiful, but it's also kind of dead... 

Ancient Tomb

There aren't many people walking on the street.. so when we go out to do finding we literally talk to everyone because we could walk for hours without finding someone to talk to.  

Empty Roads

Empty Streets

At least we know someone's been here...  #wordofwisdomproblems

The prospects aren't looking too good for us either because we only got three phone numbers of people that might, maybe, could be interested.  

One of them was an optometrist who said he wasn't really interested in our message but gave us his number in case we had any eye problems. So I'm thinking about faking an eye injury just to call and set an appointment with him. 

Hopeful
But despite our huge lack of success, I feel really hopeful about Siracusa.  I just KNOW that there is someone here that I'm supposed to find.  I've never had this strong of a conviction my whole mission that there is someone here for me.  

I asked the anziani for a blessing yesterday and it was really sweet because they confirmed all of the impressions that I've been having:  that I'm supposed to be here, and that everything that I have learned thus far on my mission has been preparing me for this city.  It's taking a lot of faith from me, because after all of this work we still aren't seeing results.  

Plus it doesn't help that in my personal study of the Book of Mormon I've been reading 4th Nephi... and man can I relate.  Not much of a story you want to relate to.  So it's kind of depressing.  


Smile
But one of our district goals is to remain positive. This Sunday the anziani made little bigliettinis that say "sorridi, ti fa bene"  which means 

"Smile, it's good for you!" 

and we gave them out to all of the members on Sunday.  They seemed to really like it and almost everyone who bore their testimony talked about it. 

Beach
Also I had a really crazy dream that we found a family doing finding on the beach.. but only the 12-year-old daughter wanted to be baptized and the parents said she could. I don't think it's a real prophetic dream or anything.. but it is a nice excuse to do finding by the beach. 

Come out, come out, wherever you are...


Uplift
So I guess for a little update on my week other than finding:  We are working with these two new converts named Giusi and Luigi.. they are realllly cute. They are about mid-forties and they are going to get married. 

The only problem is that he has to find work (impossible) before they can get married because they are both still living with their parents...  They are getting really down right now because he hasn't been able to find work, so they asked if they could meet with us two times a week because they need that spiritual uplift. 

See God
I also got to do a scambio in Catania this week which was really fun, because I have a lot of friends that are serving there right now (4 sisters and 2 elders).  I was with Sorella Marquis and we taught a lesson to this sweet man named Salvatore.  We taught him the Restoration and he told us about a time he saw God in the clouds (common occurrence here) and when we started to recite the First Vision he started to cry. 

It was fun being in Catania because I got to do real finding... I met these cool girls from ARGENTINA  and they are here playing field hockey... and we also met this really sweet Italian mom who took a Book of Mormon and said she wanted to read it and then give it to her friend. 

Share it with a friend...

I love finding.  You have the coolest miracle experiences.  

So yeah, it's been a good week. We met a lot of cool people and the members here are really great too.  I had a couple chances to meet with some of them and establish how we can help more in the ward.  

Playing EFY games with the youth 
(because I miss being a counselor)

pistachio arancini 


I think it's going to be a good transfer.  A lot of hard work. Like a lot. 

But I know it's going to be a big testimony builder and I know we are going to see a lot of miracles. Pray for new investigators. "Nothing happens in missionary work until you find someone to teach." --PMG.  Literally.  ANYONE. 

Vi voglio bene.

With love from Siracusa (PLEASE don't call it Syracuse.. scifo) 



Sorella O'Connor 

(Email Sent - April 14, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment