Friday, May 17, 2013

Four Investigators and a Funeral


I'm sorry the email is a day late.. Yesterday was Italian Labor day which means everything in the whole world is closed and no one is at home either. (I really don't know where they go on holidays.)  So we had to wait a day for shopping and email.

Getting a Greenie
Finished my first transfer! I'm staying in Cagliari with Sorella Cojan but we are getting ANOTHER greenie! I don't know who it is yet, but she flies in at 5 so we don't find out until the airport.  The assistants love keeping secrets from us.
Waiting for their new companions


Thursday was Mom's birthday and ANOTHER holiday in Italy... not sure which, but there was a huge Catholic procession down our street at 6:30 so that was fun to watch from the balcony where I run (in place) in the morning.

Baby Miracle
Friday was the BEST day. There is this potential investigator that had kind of dodged us and we saw her twice in the bus.  She asked us if we could come by the next day and we were ecstatic. Her name is Betsy and she is from Nigeria and has a cute little baby named Miracle.  

Coolest Couple
THEN we were doing casa in casa and the coolest couple let us in!  We stayed for a long time just chatting and sharing a little bit about the Book of Mormon and the importance of famlies in the church (they loved talking about their family) and then they set up a return apointment with us!  

Two more new investigators! I literally left the building, dancing and singing about my love for Italy. Sorella Cojan and I were SO happy because really they are the coolest couple. 

My Favorite
But as soon as we calmed down a little and checked our phone we got a message from the Relief Society president that one of my favorite less-actives we have been visiting had passed away. She was older and in the hospital and we used to go to FHE at her house on Mondays.  

We visited her while she was in the hospital, so I was really sad about it. She was my favorite because she would always hold my hand and tell me I was beautiful and that I spoke good Italian. 


Stubborn Child
Then Saturday, Betsy called and canceled on us again. Dang.  

and Sorella Cojan made me be senior companion all day.  It was the worst.  

She said "Okay, now you are my trainer and I'm the greenie that doesn't know anything.

and I said, "But I really AM a greenie that doesn't know anything!

Whenever I asked a question or her opinion she would shrug her shoulders and not say anything. I felt like one of those moms that pulls their stubborn children around the grocery store with one of those baby leashes.  

I hated it, but it helped me to really learn the city and be better at making decisions, because I hate making decisions.


Full of Hope
Sunday was the funeral for Sorella Meles and a TON of people came. Sorella Safina (RS President) said her Sorella Meles' daughter (non-member) had called and said how so many people had called her to compliment the funeral service. 

We had some really great talks and it was full of hope and not a lot of people (of other faiths) are used to funerals like that. We are hoping that it planted some good seeds.


Cooling Off
Monday we had the return apointment with Ritta and Antenello and we were SO excited.  We planned this GREAT lesson on the Plan of Salvation.  We went and they chatted with us for like 30 minutes and then they said we could share our message with them.  

I started and had only said two words when Antonello stopped and said, "By the way, we love having you visit and we'll listen to your message, but we have no intention of changing."  

They had a really bad experience in the past with some missionaries (from another faith) and they aren't open to wanting to change.  They let us give our lesson though, and it was really interesting. 

Before we started Ritta had expressed a lot of concerns about death, so we thought it was a really inspired lesson. They had lots of questions, but they seemed more out of curiosity.  

Keep Trying
Even though we were sad they didn't want to investigate further, I felt an overwhelming sense of peace and comfort to keep visiting them and keep trying. They invited us back over to pranzo, and they wanted to make sure we would still come see them.  

They just "don't want to hear about Jesus" (their words).  Sorella Cojan was REALLY upset for the next couple of days... 

and for dramatic effect as soon as we left the apartment there was a huge thunder/lighting storm. perfect timing right? 


Rain in Cagliari


Hope
Tuesday we took the missionaries leaving to the airport and we have one of the Sassari sisters with us, which is fun.  She served here before me with Sorella Cojan, so it was a good to have her here to help cheer up Sorella Cojan.  

I feel so bad because I have so much hope for them and was still pretty positive, and that didn't help her feelings.  It's been hard not to have a lot of investigators, and it makes you really feel like you are no help to the Lord and nothing gets you down like feeling you are a helpless missionary.  

Shout-Out
So thanks so much for all the support you give me.  I may have started to cry a little with what you told me about graduation...it's really a comfort to feel like someone is supporting you even if you aren't seeing immediate results.  (Note: Kaitlin's dad spoke at BYU Commencement and mentioned that she was serving a mission instead of graduating that day; the crowd responded with a long applause.)

Yesterday for PDAY they had this huge parade with all the Sards dressed up in traditional Sardanian clothing so it was cool to see that. 

Traditional Sard Dress in Cagliari Parade

And then at English course only one of my students showed up because of the holiday, but we had an INCREDIBLE lesson with him.  

Emotional
Our English lesson was on emotions and he was talking about how important emotions are and then for my spiritual thought I shared Alma 32:28.

 28 Now, we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves—It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me.

and talked about how the Holy Ghost speaks to us through our emotions, and how we can know the truth through the Holy Ghost. The spirit was so strong and he started to tear up. 

We are going to meet with him this week (he didn't set a date because Italians hate commitment), but we are really so excited because he is very open-minded and very sincere. It was probably one of the best moments of my mission so far in that lesson.

Okay no time. love you. Thanks for all the pictures! You are the BEST. 

 Ciao Ciao

(Email Sent - May 2, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment